PROSPECT HEIGHTS, IL—For the first time in 40 years, the Prospect Heights Block Party has been forced to cancel its 2020 event due to the coronavirus pandemic. The decision was made by the Prospect Heights City and Park District officials in the interest of public safety.
The Block Party requires months of preparation, generous sponsors, local organizations and excellent performers in order to occur. Typically, the Block Party attracts hundreds of attendees and gathering a crowd of that size this summer will be difficult to manage with state safety guidelines in place. “I know this is disappointing news for many. This has been a difficult decision to make, but our priority is always the health and safety of our residents,” said Christina Ferraro, Prospect Heights Park District Executive Director. Last year’s Block Party included live music, kids activities and food trucks and drew nearly 1,000 people. Planning for next year’s event has already begun.
“This is not just a matter of canceling an event, it is about caring for the entire community,” Ferraro said.
SAVE THE DATE: JUNE 19, 2021